About Kelly Koerner, Phd
An expert clinician and trainer in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Kelly has spent her career developing innovative ways to close the gap between scientific research and how clinicians practice. Since co-founding her first behavioral health training company in 1997, she has given life to multiple behavioral technology ventures, including BTECH Research, Practice Ground, and Evidence-Based Practice Institute, LLC. Kelly is also adjunct clinical faculty at the University of Washington and the author of Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide.
On February 20th, Dr. Kelly Koerner was interviewed on the Beyond Addiction Show with Dr. Josh King, a weekly podcast that focuses on evidence-based treatments of substance abuse and other co-occurring behaviors.
Kelly discussed Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) including what it is, how you can use it and why it’s so helpful. In this episode, she shares:
- How DBT was created by Marsha Linehan to increase validation and acceptance to clients trying to change their behaviors and regulate their emotions to improve traditional behavior therapy;
- How modern therapies are converging on the importance of accept and being skillful as you move forward with pain and the hard stuff in life;
- Provides an overview of the key DBT skills including core mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation, and distress tolerance;
- How DBT skills can be used to handle peak moments of distress where your choice is “do I escape in my old habitual way or do I find something new to do?”;
- How her new company, Jaspr Health, is focusing on getting the very best science available to people in a suicide crisis in emergency rooms to help speed assessment and crisis stabilization and provide additional support outside of the hospital;
- How Jaspr Health is different from other solutions because it blends the wisdom of those with lived experience and healthcare system partners to best met patients and providers needs.
To listen to the episode, visit https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/121917/dialectical-behavior-therapy-dbt-with-dr-kelly-koerner
P: (334) 868-9640